Friday, September 17, 2010

SONY vs JVC

I haven't shot much on the Sony, but I have quite a bit of experience on the JVC. Ultimately, I don't think I can say I like one better than the other- but the sole reason for this is that the Sony records to Mini-DV tapes. I hate working with tapes, because I'm always afraid that the deck is going to eat them and my work will be destroyed. Additionally, having to log and capture is a pain.

However, I much prefer the image quality of the Sony to the JVC. I'm a big fan of the clean, dynamic images captured by the CMOS sensor. I think it really depends on your project- I've used the JVC to shoot a lot of live video, and it's been pretty great (especially being able to hot-swap cards), but I think I prefer the Sony for well-thought-out narratives or pieces like our portraits.

-Hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment