Friday, December 10, 2010

Artist's statement

Most of my favorite movies are about groups of people. Instead of having a strong central character, films like American Graffiti and The Royal Tenenbaums focus equally on a large cast of characters and give screen time to each one. There is something about this approach that echoes the way I think; I tend to think in big pictures, trying to hold as many things in my head at once as I can. This is probably why I love editing- it represents a process where I observe many different viewpoints, choosing carefully which best expresses the idea at hand and advances the story. In some ways, videography is still a frustrating art for me, more so than still photography. I find myself overwhelmed by the possibilities and it becomes hard to choose one way of doing things. Ultimately, as an artist, I'd like to find a way to express those possibilities, those viewpoints- the vastness and beauty of the world around me, funneled through my own unique worldview. Honestly, even though I've come a long way this year in gaining the ability to do that, I know that I have only begun to learn. So I here are my goals:
1) To express not only the beauty of the world around me, but the complexity of it.
2) To grow more confident and assertive not only as a director/cinematographer, but as a editor and still photographer.
3) To continue meeting and pursuing relationships with the people who are interested in these goals, who can help me learn more, and who I can work with. I've met a lot of people this year, and it's been awesome and humbling to work with them.
As I said earlier, I don't know what happens after this- I don't know if I go to grad school, or get a job, or what. But I'm willing to take these goals with me wherever I go. Thanks for this semester, everyone. It's been a joy.

-Hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment