Sunday, February 13, 2011

Scene Assignment

Our scene assignment made me think more about the director/DP relationship and how I communicate with my crew. I'm used to working with Micah, who I've known since I was 15, so working with another DP was a weird and enlightening experience. (Micah and I tend to work out artistic disagreements through shouting matches. I'm sure our friendship looks pretty dysfunctional from the outside.)

In any case, I'm a very open-minded director and I love feedback from every member of my crew, so working with Henry was really great. Henry brought a lot to the table during our partnership, and I'm really happy to have had the opportunity to work with him. He thinks about lighting in a way that I'm not sure I can- even as a director, I still think like an editor, so I need a very strong DP to lean on when I'm trying to decide how a scene should look. While I'm not happy with the sound, I couldn't be more pleased with the way my little noir looks. I really love the feel of black and white films, and I think we managed to create a pretty convincing replication of those smoky, mysterious movies.

-Hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment